Friday, April 04, 2008

Carbon Fibre has gone too far.

So. Cellos are made of...wood?

Traditional materials are being thrown aside, according to a recent Discovery Channel interview with some cellist who thinks it's time for a change. I don't know what he's thinking, other than to make a buck. These newly built instruments (if they can even be called that) are lighter, easier to repair, more durable in the first place, and could potentially come in colors.

Bleah.

I'll take my French 1800's baby any day. Can't speak for everyone else, but I'm sort of annoyed about the whole thing. Shame on him! Maybe I'm just a purist...

For other potentially sacrilegious information, see the Daily Planet archive.

1 comment:

0000000000 said...

I feel that Carbon Fiber Cello's Rock out. They lack aesthetics but, heck ya they sound the same as any high end cello.