Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Books, lately

Well, in case anyone's interested, here's what I've read so far this year:

The Heavenly Man, by Brother Yun - Killer read. It took me a while to get through, because every chapter kicks you in the butt and makes you want to rethink your priorities or something. It's the autobiography of Yun's experience in the Chinese underground house church movement during the 80's and 90's. He was imprisoned and tortured multiple times, suffering physically and mentally - but thriving spiritually. He becomes the vessel for many physical miracles, just like the things you read about in the book of Acts. Sort of wakes you up to what is going on in a less cushy part of the world.

Facing the Wall, by Don Potter - Essential reading for worship leaders, I think.






Blue Like Jazz, by Donald Miller - Yeah, baby. I've mentioned this book before on my blog, and here it is again. It reminded me that there are whole pieces of me that never got unpacked after my cross-country move. This guy has a way of talking that feels like home to me. I am starting his second book, Searching for God Knows What, which I'm sure you'll hear more about.



Because of Winn Dixie, by Kate DiCamillo - The book came before the movie. A quick, feel good story about a kid and a dog, who bring together a little family of misfits. This led me to my next two books...





The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, by Kate DiCamillo - Edward is a china doll rabbit who is totally conceited. The book recounts his journey to discovering that he's been missing out by his inability to think of others - and that he has to learn to open his heart and love. I expect a movie out of this one sometime in the future...


The Tale of Desperaux, by Kate DiCamillo - Sort of a chivalry lesson for a mouse. Good characters, interesting narration. This one got the Newbery award. Go Kate D. I actually read this one on the recommendation of my 10 year old niece, Brooke, who's dream job I have. The fact that I get to look at kids books all day every day is thrilling to her. She is a major bookworm, and can hardly talk about anything else with me at the moment, so when she was reading it in school and frustrated because they couldn't take the book home to finish it, I heard about her peril, and bought her a copy. Read it - you'll like it.

Bone: Out from Boneville, by Jeff Smith - My first graphic novel! This is actually just the first volume (of seven, I think) of the series that came out in 1991, and is now being reprinted for young readers. Out from Boneville sets up the characters (yes, they are actually bones, a fact which is never directly addressed) and the landscape of their world - dragons, rat-creatures, humans, a village, a forest, talking bugs, a family of possums...


Bone: The Great Cow Race, by Jeff Smith - Read them in order, or they won't make any sense!






Bone: The Eyes of the Storm, by Jeff Smith - Did I mention that these are full-color printings? Beautiful and bright. Still think it's weird that the main character is a bone.

1 comment:

Val said...

I read The Tale of Desperaux and Because of Winn-Dixie to one of my classes at school last year. I loved them. I'll have to check out the other book by Kate DiCamillo as well.