Friday, March 31, 2006

Three More

I've got additions to the list of books I've read recently...

(It's been slow at work.)

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale - The cover, although slightly greenish yellow here, is a very appealing lilac in real life. I was first visually attracted to its smooth matte cover, and the fact that it's purple. I like purple. The story took me a while to get into, but I ended up liking it pretty well. I like that the main character's name is Miri, and the fact that she is a pretty normal girl with all the normal insecurities of adolescence. She figures a few things out, though. Or they figure her out. Either way, it presents an interesting perspective on spiritual interaction - describing how it feels to "sing from deep inside" and things like that. The mountain people (Miri's clan) are capable of a special kind of interaction called "quarryspeak" that has something to do with the linder stone in the earth where they live. They are able to communicate to one another in this special way, reminding me of what Madeline L'Engle called "kything" in her books. Anyway, I thought it was sort of interesting. Like how it feels to talk to God with your spirit. I see how adding this aspect of life to a fantasy novel adds a mystical dimension - but the cool part is it's appealing for one very clear reason. We're built to know how to reach out and press in with our spirits, to communicate with God. Cool.

The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo - Figured I'd round out my DiCamillo reading. This is her skinny little book about a kid named Rob (clever) and his desperate need to find a way to grieve the death of his mother. Yes, there really is a tiger. Also, a girl named Sistine (after the chapel) and a prophetess and mention of rotten meat. Mmm. Again, first attracted to this book because of it's smooth matte cover, and rich earthtones. I like earthtones.


Fairy Dust and the Quest for the Egg by Gail Carson Levine - I just had to. I saw it fly off the shelves over Christmas, and I saw the release of 4 beginning chapter books (each named after a different Disney Fairy) and I saw all things "Tink" appear in stores around me. I always liked Peter Pan (watch Finding Neverland, people) so I thought...maybe...It took 99 pages to get a plot out there, and then it just sort of spun in circles for another 75. I have a sneaking suspicion that there will be another book...and I also have unhappy feelings about the title of this one. Disappointing! But pretty - there were some lovely watercolors to fold out of this attractive matte-finish-covered, aqua-colored book.

I am such a victim of marketing.

No comments: